Thursday, November 19, 2009

Another Look Back

In September 2007, I climbed. I didn't climb anything major or break any world records or anything, but I achieved something that I had been wanting to do, I climbed. I climbed the Island. Now, to those of you who are not familiar with Cody, Wyoming and the climbing done in this neck of the woods, the Island is a huge granite rock located by some tunnels that you have to drive through to get to Yellowstone Park from Cody. It has been a hot spot for climbers since the early 80's. My husband and his friend, Monty Madsen, and Kirt's little brother, Todd, just happened to be big in to climbing back then and Kirt and Monty are the ones that dubbed it 'The Island'. They came up with lots of cool names for the climbs in this area and the names have stuck over the years. The guys even have their names in BOOKS! Wow! now that is cool, especially in my world, being that I love to write and all. Anyway, here are some pictures of me climbing. I included some of my children climbing too. They loved it! Brinson took to it like a duck in water. I think he follows in his dad's footprints a lot, as you can see here...

Wow! he is way up there! I was a little nervous to say the least.
 
I was really glad to get this shot. It is Brinson on the way back down. This is about when my heart started beating again.


Before any of us could go, Todd climbed up and secured the rope so that none of us would fall.


He finally got to the top and now the fun could begin!


Cache took his shot too, he wasn't quite ready to go as high as his brother just yet, maybe next time.


And yes folks, you guessed it, this is my big debut as a beginner. It was a rush I do have to admit that.
 
Still going and loving every minute of it.


Look how far up I am!! It was awesome!


It was a great day with friends and family and we had a really good time! I can't wait to do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment