Friday, April 16, 2010

Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, Inc.

Well, today I have decided to write and tell you about the publishing company that now holds my future as a published author in its palms. 
Name: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, Inc.  
Address: 18 West 18th Street, New York, NY  10011.  
Website: www.fsgkidsbooks.com
Established: 1946
Imprints: Frances Foster Books. Children's Books Editorial Director: Margaret Ferguson (To whom my query was personally addressed).
Manuscript Acquisitions: Margaret Ferguson, editorial director; Frances Foster, Frances Foster Books; Wesley Adams, executive editor; Janine O'Malley, senior editor.  
Art Director: Not that important, as I am not submitting art, but I do know a couple of people that should!!
Publishes 40 picture books per year; 30 middle grade books per year; 10 young adult titles per year.
5% of books by first time authors (That's me!!); 20% of books from agented writers.
Fiction: All levels: all categories. (I think I fit in here just fine!) "Original and well-written material for all ages."
Recently Published: The Cabinet of Wonders, by Marie Rutkoski; Last Night, by Hyewon Yum.
Nonfiction: doesn't really matter because that is not what this book is by any stretch of the imagination. (Pardon the pun!)
How to Contact: Fiction/nonfiction: for novels, query (check!) with outline/synopsis (check!) and three sample chapters (check!); The rest really doesn't matter, as I write children's novels so part one is for me. Do not fax or e-mail submissions or queries. Responds to queries/mss in 3 months.
Publishes a book 18 months after acceptance (WOW!) Will consider simultaneous submissions. (Seriously thinking about!) Meaning: They will let you send manuscript to them and others at the same time.
Terms: "We offer an advance against royalties for both authors and illustrators." (This is a GOOD thing!) Sends galleys to authors. (Samples of illustrations that can be used for my book as an author and I get to choose. Cool huh?)
Tips: "Study our catalog before submitting. (Check!) Don't ask for criticism or advice (duh). Due to the volume of submissions we receive, its just not possible. (I just can't fathom anyone asking anyway!) Never send originals. (Could you imagine writing a novel when there were no typewriters? Could you imagine writing a novel when there were JUST typewriters? I am truly blessed!!) Always enclose SASE (For those of you who do not know-Self Addressed Stamped Envelope)."

So, now all I do is wait to hear back from them. That, I believe, is one of the hardest parts to this as well, the waiting. Patience is a good thing to have a lot of in the trials and errors of getting published. I hope mine holds out. Oh yeah, I have tested it and it doesn't give in easily, so I am still feeling great for now. Hopefully I can maintain that attitude and endure through this time in my life. There is nothing I want more, so I think I can handle it...for as long as it takes.
A friend gave me some advice once. She told me of another friend that she has that wanted something badly in her life. She took a piece of paper and boxed out 100 no's on it. In the last corner of the paper at the bottom, she boxed out a yes. She began checking off the no's until one day, she was able to put a check in the yes box. Every time she got a 'no' she would mark it and move on to the next. She did finally get that 'yes' and I know that someday I will get that 'yes' as well. Until then, I will continue to mark the 'no boxes' and move on. Hopefully I don't have to use up a lot of paper in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment