Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Prisoner of My Own Making

I have been trying to figure out how to coil and make jewelry with the coils. I have seen many pictures and I am IN LOVE with this look. I have picked up my drill and attached a swivel to a hinge and then attached the hinge to a board and began the coiling process, but I still have a long way to go before I perfect this art that I find so fascinating. I have weaved a couple of things and I coiled a necklace night before last, but I want it to be better! I wish that I knew someone that could teach me... Oh well, I guess I have always been one that loves a good challenge. It took me a while to figure out the art of wire wrapping, I guess it will probably take a while for me to learn the art of coiling as well. I do have some ideas that I think I can manage without too much difficulty. I just gotta get the coiling with the drill perfected!
Here is a necklace that I weaved...
 And here is a necklace that I coiled...
Both are OK, but I really want to do more with both techniques. I have the will to do it, I just have to put in the time.
Have you ever done something that totally captivates you and holds you prisoner? This is how I feel about jewelry design. I don't mean that it holds me prisoner in a bad way, but rather that it holds me prisoner in other ways. Sometimes I am consumed by thoughts of a design that I just can't get out of my head, or my hands will not stop trying something until I get it right. This is what I mean by holding me prisoner.
I have dreams and aspirations and things I need to accomplish. All of them relate to my creative brain working overtime. The one thing that I can say is that I never grow tired of it. I never grow weary of the thoughts that race through my head. I never grow tired of sitting at my kitchen table for hours on end continually doing something over and over again until I get it right. Do you ever get like that? Where you just can't throw in the towel because you know that you are going to achieve your vision on the next try?
This is how my mind works continually, always striving for that exact moment when I get it right and the satisfaction rushing through my body like euphoria! I will get there with these designs, I just need to be patient and steady and keep trying. Keep watching because I will achieve what I am after...one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment